Thoughts and experiences from current MDiv student at Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York and a former Young Adult Volunteer (YAV) in Guatemala (2009-2010) and Nashville (2010-2011) searching for hope and home wherever I may be.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Still in Nashville...

My second YAV year came to an end just a little over a month ago on July 31. I like to think that I take most of life in stride, that I look to the next horizon, and I think for the most part I do. But that doesn't mean that sometimes the transitions are bittersweet and a little difficult. My transition from Guatemala to Nashville was certainly difficult and was for several months. The transition out of my second YAV year, however, was not nearly so abrupt. I decided to stay in Nashville and am living with my roommate from last year, Sally, and another YAV who served in Nashville from 2009-2010 (when I was in Guatemala). So we're still a little YAVA (Young Adult Volunteer Alum) house. Until September 30 I am also still working at Conexiòn Amèricas as a receptionist while they are looking for someone permanent to fill the position. So a lot has stayed the same. But a lot has also changed Most of the other YAVs moved away--to grad school, back home, or on to another YAV year (Allison is doing a second year in New Orleans). And I'm not actually a YAV anymore. It's been my life for the past two years, and it feels weird some days that's it's not anymore, but I am so glad to be in Nashville still where I have a community of YAVAs. So now I am starting to look to the next horizon. I'm still figuring out what my life will look like after September 30 when my time at Conexiòn comes to an end, but I am planning on applying to seminary for the fall of 2012 and hoping to make it back to Guatemala for a visit at some point. But for now, I'm just happy to be where I am.

1 comment: