On Saturday, September 19 we got up early to go into the market in Antigua. We had to buy a gift for a 15 year old girl, whose birthday part we were going to that afternoon. She is a neighbor of Marcia's and we were invited to come with Marcia to the party.
In Guatemala, if you're a girl, your 15th birthday is a huge deal, kind of like a coming-of-age thing. This girl was wearing this purple prom/princess dress with a tiara.
First we went to a mass (which I understood about 15% of) and then we drove out to thsi park where there was a huge party. First she danced with her dad, then with her grandfather and uncle. Then, before the food was served, we made a toast to her-for her hears so far and for many more to come. The meal was delicious (as most of the food here is!), but they wait until the end of the party (about 5 p.m.) to serve the cake so people won't leave :)
The boys also have a big party at 18, but it's nothing like the quincenera for the girls. Many families go virtually broke putting on this party for their daughters. The mother, grandmothers, aunts, etc. all have to cook for several days beforehand and all the food and cakes are expensive. At this one, there was one 3-tiered cake and two other cakes besides!
PS- I have no idea if I spelled quincenera right, but I think I did and it has a tilde over the second "n"
No comments:
Post a Comment